District Grand Priory banner
The District Grand Priory of New South Wales

Ordinis Templi In Scotia

 

  HOME OUR PRECEPTORIES ADDITIONAL INFORMATION MEMBERSHIP CONTACT US Member Area

A BRIEF HISTORICAL OUTLINE

Great Priory  Banner
Banner of The Great Priory of Scotland

The full title of 'The Order of the Temple' is The United, Religious and Military Orders of the Temple and the Order of St. John of Jerusalem, Palestine, Rhodes and Malta.

The Order of the Temple was founded in 1118 AD at Jerusalem, which had been liberated from Saracen rule nineteen years earlier. The successes of the crusaders had brought pilgrims to the Holy Land from all over Christendom. Rich and poor, noble and peasant, male and female, wrought upon by religious excitement, they came through the most inhospitable countries to visit and offer up their devotions at places made sacred by associations with the life of our Savior.

It was to afford some protection to these otherwise unguarded pilgrims that Hugo de Payens and seven other Knights founded the Order. Baldwin II, King of Jerusalem, granted them quarters near the Royal Palace, and as the site was traditionally that of King Solomon's Temple, they became known as the 'Knights of the Temple.'

The Scottish Order of the Temple, 'Ordinis Templi In Scotia', was brought to New South Wales, Australia, in 1876. The District Grand Priory of New South Wales has seven preceptories, six of which are located in the Sydney area and one in the north coastal area. The preceptories meet quarterly between January and December each consecutive year.

The grades of Knighthood are most impressive, as are the regalia of the Order being based on that of the medieval Templars. The Knights of Malta regalia is different but not obligatory.

 

HOME OUR PRECEPTORIES ADDITIONAL INFORMATION MEMBERSHIP CONTACT US Member Area
The District Grand Priory banner is a trademark of The District Grand Priory of New South Wales - © 2005 Sydney - All rights reserved